EU-Iraq Energy Co-operation: Missing the Point?
By Edward Burke
Opinion No. 2 - January 2009
To download the full publication
click here (163 KB)
In a meeting last year with MEPs in Brussels, Staffan de Mistura, the UN Special Representative of the Secretary General (SRSG) to Iraq called the current lull in fighting the “magic moment” to build a democratic government in Iraq that uses its energy revenues transparently and efficiently. Europe would do well to heed his advice.
So far, a regular high-level political and energy dialogue with Iraq has not been set up and the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding on energy with Iraq has been delayed by the long process of negotiating a bi-lateral Trade and Cooperation Agreement (TCA). The EU has also not adequately invested in providing bi-lateral technical assistance to improve the governance of Iraq’s energy sector, key to Iraq’s future stability and of obvious interest to a European market short of reliable supplies of oil and gas.
- EDC 2020 - Policy Brief No 15: Climate change challenges for European Development Cooperation: issues towards 2020
- EDC 2020 - Policy Brief No 14: Climate Finance in Bangladesh: Lessons for Development Cooperation and Climate Finance at National Level
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No 13 - The New Landscape Of Economic Governance - Strengthening the Role of Emerging Economies
- EDC 2020 - Policy Brief No 12: International Public Finance to Address Climate Change in Indonesia – Lessons for the Future of European Development Cooperation
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No 12: Climate Finance in Bangladesh: Lessons for the Development Cooperation and Climate Finance at National Level
- EDC 2020 - Policy Brief No. 10: The Challenge from Within: New EU Donors and European Development Cooperation
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No 11: Climate Finance in Indonesia: Lessons for the Future of Public Finance for Climate Change Mitigation
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No 9: The EU’s Interests in Central Asia: Integrating Energy, Security and Values Into Coherent Policy
- EDC 2020 - Policy Brief No.6: European Development Cooperation to 2020: Rising Powers and New Global Challenges
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No. 6 - International Climate Finance: Principles for European Support to Developing Countries
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No 7 - Emerging Non-State Actors in Global Development: Challenges for Europe