Development, Security and Energy: Improving Coherence
By Richard Youngs and Amelia Hadfield
Policy Brief No. 2 - October 2008
To download the full publication (177 KB)
The ethos of EU development policy is changing. Incorporating both political and security goals, EU development co-operation has taken on a more holistic identity. It is increasingly linked to more ambitious outcomes in which good governance, human rights, conflict resolution and the challenges of sustainability all play a part.
This widened scope provides a platform to engage with EU policy on energy security. This document provides a snapshot of the policy connections linking development, broad security goals and specific energy objectives.
Can the EU effectively manage a policy nexus between securitised development and energy security? It certainly has the potential to do so. But fundamental policy changes are required before it can claim to be on the road towards this goal.
- EDC 2020 - Policy Brief No 15: Climate change challenges for European Development Cooperation: issues towards 2020
- EDC 2020 - Policy Brief No 14: Climate Finance in Bangladesh: Lessons for Development Cooperation and Climate Finance at National Level
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No 13 - The New Landscape Of Economic Governance - Strengthening the Role of Emerging Economies
- EDC 2020 - Policy Brief No 12: International Public Finance to Address Climate Change in Indonesia – Lessons for the Future of European Development Cooperation
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No 12: Climate Finance in Bangladesh: Lessons for the Development Cooperation and Climate Finance at National Level
- EDC 2020 - Policy Brief No. 10: The Challenge from Within: New EU Donors and European Development Cooperation
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No 11: Climate Finance in Indonesia: Lessons for the Future of Public Finance for Climate Change Mitigation
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No 9: The EU’s Interests in Central Asia: Integrating Energy, Security and Values Into Coherent Policy
- EDC 2020 - Policy Brief No.6: European Development Cooperation to 2020: Rising Powers and New Global Challenges
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No. 6 - International Climate Finance: Principles for European Support to Developing Countries
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No 7 - Emerging Non-State Actors in Global Development: Challenges for Europe